Private University, a university duly established through a state Act by a sponsoring body viz. a society registered under the societies Registration Act 1860, or any other corresponding law for the time being in force in a state or a public Trust or a Company registered under section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956.
The State Acts are:-
- Martin Luther Christian University Act, 2005 (Act No 11 of 2005). The Gazette of Meghalaya, July 13th 2005 (416 kb)
- ICFAI University Act, 2005 (Act No 12 of 2005). The Gazette of Meghalaya, July 13th 2005 (384 kb)
- William Carey University Act, 2005 (Act No 13 of 2005). The Gazette of Meghalaya, July 13th 2005 (5.1 mb)
- Techno Global University Act, 2008 (Act No 5 of 2008). The Gazette of Meghalaya the 2nd December 2008 (9.9 mb)
- University of Science and Technology Act, 2008 (Act No 6 of 2008). The Gazette of Meghalaya the 2nd December 2008 (7.2 mb)
- CMJ University Act, 2009 (Act No 4 of 2009). The Gazette of Meghalaya the 20th July 2009 (81 kb)
- Mahatma Gandhi University
- University of Technology and Management
The Directorate has prepared a Draft Meghalaya Private University Regulation 2008. The main purpose of the proposed Private University Regulation is to ensure that such universities maintain standards as per the specified norms, guidelines, rules and regulation of UGC, AICTE, BCI, MCI, DCI, PCI and NCTE so as to ensure that quality education is given by such institutions at higher level.